October is a month filled with beautiful fall colors, Halloween, and National Orthodontic Health Month! The purpose of this national award is to raise awareness about the advantages of orthodontic treatment. If you’re not sure what that means or how it pertains to you, read on for our quick orthodontic facts.
What exactly is meant by the term “orthodontics”?
The American Association of Orthodontists defines orthodontics as a dental specialty dealing with the diagnosis, supervision, guiding, and correction of malocclusions (the imperfect position of the teeth when the jaw is closed).
Statistics on orthodontics:
- In the United States, 4.5 million people wear braces, with approximately one-quarter of them being adults.
- Despite the fact that children aged 10 to 14 are the ideal candidates for braces, adult braces are becoming more fashionable.
- Behind straight teeth, overbite repair is the second most common reason for braces.
What are some benefits of orthodontic care?
The primary goal of an orthodontist is to help patients achieve their ideal smile. Aside from producing a beautiful smile, proper teeth alignment improves daily functions such as speaking and biting, as well as preventing cavities. An orthodontist can accomplish the following:
- Close gaps between teeth
- Align the teeth
- Straighten crooked teeth
- Improve one’s capacity to speak or chew
- Increase the long-term health of the gums and teeth
- Prevent long-term severe tooth wear or trauma
What happens if I don’t get my braces fixed?
Untreated orthodontic issues can compromise your oral health and decrease tooth function. You may come across any or all of the following:
- More cavities
- Periodontal disease
- Difficulties speaking and chewing
- Sleeping problems
Is braces my only option for orthodontic treatment?
No! Orthodontic therapy has come a long way in recent years. Orthodontics is now more accessible than ever thanks to technological developments and treatment options.
Do you want to mark National Orthodontic Health Month in a special way? Request a consultation with Rick Herrmann Orthodontics and begin your journey to a healthy and attractive smile!