Identifying a potential need for your child to see an orthodontist is not always easy. Not every warning sign is immediately apparent. There are some indications, however, that may alert you to the necessity for early intervention. Some of the warning signs could be a visible misalignment, or malocclusion, such as the following scenarios:
- Over Bite: This type of misalignment is seen when the upper teeth over-reach the lower teeth when biting down.
- Open Bite: Often the result of thumb sucking, this type of bite is evident by a wide gap between the upper and lower teeth when biting down.
- Cross Bite: The lower teeth sit farther out than the upper teeth in this type of malocclusion.
- Crowding: This is visible when there isn’t enough room for the teeth to come in at the gum’s arch.
- Deep Bite: This is noticeable by the upper teeth hiding the lower teeth when biting down.
There are other signs that may occur as symptoms, such as in the following situations:
- Speech impediment
- Breathing, snoring, or sleep problems
- Difficulty with biting or chewing food.
- Digestive problems
Although some corrective measures may require waiting for permanent teeth or a more mature jaw structure, other signs and symptoms can be treated early. In fact, catching problems early allows for greater treatment options that would otherwise become extensive if left too long. Timing is a crucial aspect of orthodontics. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children should be evaluated by age seven. Dr. Rick Herrmann advocates scheduling your child’s visit as early as 5 years old if any of the early warning signs are visible. When identified early, breathing problems, for instance, can be addressed and corrected. Treating possible orthodontic problems early contributes to more than a healthy and beautiful smile. It also improves your child’s quality of life.
Dr. Herrmann is a skilled and experienced orthodontic specialist who will only recommend braces or any other corrective measures if they are of benefit to your child. Your child’s health and age will be considered prior to advisement.
When you’re ready to schedule a complimentary evaluation with Rick Herrmann Orthodontics , you may do so without waiting for a referral from your dentist. If there are potential problems that Dr. Herrmann identifies, he will inform you of the condition, treatment, and outcome. In the event that your child does not need early intervention, Rick Herrmann Orthodontics will offer to remain in a complimentary supervisory capacity and continue to monitor his dental health and development.
If you’re considering orthodontic treatment, please contact our team at Rick Herrman Orthodontics. We serve the Orthodontic needs of Mansfield, Arlington, Burleson, Texas. Your new smile is only a call away!